Monday, February 27, 2012

Perfect Sweet Iced Tea Recipe

Combining the best advice from a number of different recipes online, I can finally now make really good sweet iced tea. My previous blind attempts came out awful.

Here are the steps:
  1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
  2. When boiling, remove from heat, and immediately add 8 teabags. Stir slightly so that they are all underwater.
  3. Set a timer for exactly 10 minutes since you put the teabags in.
  4. When the timer goes off, remove the teabags without squeezing them.
  5. Stir 3/4 cup of sugar into the tea. Stir until it's completely dissolved.
  6. In a 2 quart or 2 liter pitcher, put 3 Tablespoons of lemon juice (see update below, I use 4 Tbsp now).
  7. Add 3 cups cold water to the lemon juice.
  8. Add the tea/sugar mix to the pitcher.
  9. Top up the pitcher with cold water up to the 2 quart or liter mark.
  10. Stir and refrigerate.
The recipes I referred to, all said "sweeten to taste". That's a pain in the ass (sip, add some sugar, sip, a little more, sip, ARGH too sweet, etc), so now that I know how much sugar I like, I've made note of its exact measurement for consistency in future batches. If you find you like a little more or less than I do, note down the difference in measurement so that you don't have to guess every time you make it.
________________________

Update: I've started using 4 tablespoons of lemon juice instead of 3, and it's fresh squeezed now instead of the bottled juice I was using. The iced tea tastes even better than it was. It was perfect, but now it's even better than perfect! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment